Yes, they are THAT good. I was very impressed with this recipe (with the tweaks I made to it). So here is what I did!
First, I found this recipe and link online. Using suggestions from the comments I tweaked the recipe some and came up with a great product!
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/09/key_lime_cupcakes#commentAnchor_bonappetit_1000000000032955 This is the original recipe...If you take a look the first thing that struck me was that is NOT a good looking cupcake! What convinced me to try this recipe then? The comments and the pictures loaded by others who made them at home. Much better!
So...What did I do differently? Here is the recipe as I made it!
Ingredients
CUPCAKES
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (plus about an extra 2 or 3 Tbs flour...I don't know if it's the altitude or my flour but it seems like I am needing a bit extra in all my baked goods lately)
1 1/8 tsp baking powder
large pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel (took about 3 limes to get this much peel)
3/4 cup milk with 1 Tbs lime juice in it (set aside to make "sour milk")
A SMALL amount of food coloring to get desired lime color. I used my Wilton Gel "leaf" color and just a tiny bit of it since that is so concentrated. The original recipe calls for a lot more food coloring, and I like the lighter color.
FROSTING
6 oz cream cheese, room temperature (used the reudced fat)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1-2 tsp milk as needed for texture preference
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
As you can see my frosting was vastly different from the one they posted. I tried just halfing theirs (cause it seemed like way too much for a dozen cupcakes) and it hardly tasted of anything but lime cream cheese and was a funky frosting texture, so I tweaked it as I made it and this was an awesome combo and a good texture.
Preparation
CUPCAKES
Preheat oven to 350°F. (I set my oven to 340 because it cooks hot) Line standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar; beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then next 3 ingredients (batter may look curdled).
Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
Spoon scant 1/3 cup batter into each liner. (*** note, this fills the muffin tin cups pretty full...next time I will fill LESS full and use extra to make one or two more cupcakes, or as another comment suggested a little pan of mini cupcakes. These would be AWESOME in mini form since they are so rich!)
Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. (I would be sure to get them right at 10 minutes or maybe even a little less. Since my cupcakes had a big "top" on them I had to use a knife to loosen them from the pan before I could take them out since I let them sit a titch longer).
FROSTING
Beat cream cheese, butter, and zest together. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar a bit at a time, mixing in milk as needed for the texture you like.
ENJOY! You will probably need a glass of milk! But as you can see from Becca enjoying them, they are kid tested and approved!

First, I found this recipe and link online. Using suggestions from the comments I tweaked the recipe some and came up with a great product!
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/09/key_lime_cupcakes#commentAnchor_bonappetit_1000000000032955 This is the original recipe...If you take a look the first thing that struck me was that is NOT a good looking cupcake! What convinced me to try this recipe then? The comments and the pictures loaded by others who made them at home. Much better!
So...What did I do differently? Here is the recipe as I made it!
Ingredients
CUPCAKES
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (plus about an extra 2 or 3 Tbs flour...I don't know if it's the altitude or my flour but it seems like I am needing a bit extra in all my baked goods lately)
1 1/8 tsp baking powder
large pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel (took about 3 limes to get this much peel)
3/4 cup milk with 1 Tbs lime juice in it (set aside to make "sour milk")
A SMALL amount of food coloring to get desired lime color. I used my Wilton Gel "leaf" color and just a tiny bit of it since that is so concentrated. The original recipe calls for a lot more food coloring, and I like the lighter color.
FROSTING
6 oz cream cheese, room temperature (used the reudced fat)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1-2 tsp milk as needed for texture preference
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
As you can see my frosting was vastly different from the one they posted. I tried just halfing theirs (cause it seemed like way too much for a dozen cupcakes) and it hardly tasted of anything but lime cream cheese and was a funky frosting texture, so I tweaked it as I made it and this was an awesome combo and a good texture.
Preparation
CUPCAKES
Preheat oven to 350°F. (I set my oven to 340 because it cooks hot) Line standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar; beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then next 3 ingredients (batter may look curdled).
Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
Spoon scant 1/3 cup batter into each liner. (*** note, this fills the muffin tin cups pretty full...next time I will fill LESS full and use extra to make one or two more cupcakes, or as another comment suggested a little pan of mini cupcakes. These would be AWESOME in mini form since they are so rich!)
Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. (I would be sure to get them right at 10 minutes or maybe even a little less. Since my cupcakes had a big "top" on them I had to use a knife to loosen them from the pan before I could take them out since I let them sit a titch longer).
FROSTING
Beat cream cheese, butter, and zest together. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar a bit at a time, mixing in milk as needed for the texture you like.
ENJOY! You will probably need a glass of milk! But as you can see from Becca enjoying them, they are kid tested and approved!




3 comments:
They do look good! I'll have to keep them in mind for later when sugar is appetizing again. Ours will probably come out brown though! (no food coloring plus our brown sugar) Hopefully they'd still taste good though!
Don't know how you'd feel about it but there is organic white sugar that I saw at the store the other day. It might be an option to use just for a treat. ;)
Oh, we get it occasionally. It's just the fact that it's white sugar, which has been soooo processed there's nothing left. I don't think I've bought a bag in over a year! As long as the taste isn't effected, we're fine with our food looking a little un-normal. :)
Post a Comment