Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cops - GRRRR

Okay, I respect this job A LOT. I know they put themselves out there and do good work for our community. But that is really hard to believe when they nail the person who is a good driver and are never around when there are idoits on the road.

I got (my first EVER) ticket today while driving home from my nail appointment. I was driving our Scion because I didn't have Rebecca with me and it has better gas mileage. I see a cop following me for about a half mile and I'm thinking, well I'm driving the speed limit, my seat belt is on, I should be fine. Apparently not. The stupid DMV didn't ever send us the registration letter (I assume it got sent to our old address which is LAME because our other car and our drivers liscences are at our new address...so it's not like they don't have it!) and so our registration expired ALMOST 3 MONTHS AGO! Seriously I was shocked. And NO he can't just give me a warning (because it is OBVIOUS I am shocked and I have the proof that I have not done this before in my car by way of the very consistent yearly registration notices) he has to give me the ticket. Stupid quotas that they say they don't have ya right...it's the end of the month!

To make it even worse, I ask the cop if he knows how much it will be, and he doesn't even know. But he told me I am responsible to call the court to tell them to send me the ticket or they will put out a warrant for my arrest. What the heck is that? Did you not just put all of my info in your system? Are you all really that lame that you cannot mail me a ticket without me calling you first? And then I have to pay the "court fees" to have you send me a piece of paper that I called you to send me? REDICULOUS!

I am very upset right now and angry at the system. Like I said, they always nail the person who is driving fine, but happens to not have gotten a notice from the DMV to send them money. ARG!

8 comments:

Sara said...

I'm really sorry. That really stinks. Grrrrr!!!

Abby Normal said...

Stacey,
See it in a positive light...your vehicle wasn't impounded & it wasn't a serious ticket...at least one that effects your driver's license & insurance. Yes, it bites that it is your money out of your pocket! I've had experienced with this same thing (and I live with a COP! and it was HIS vehicle). The registration materials were never mailed since every VEHICLE must have a change of address for every person listed. Max & I are listed on the truck...he is listed first & didn't change the address. I changed the address to my name on the truck but because I am not listed first it got sent to the old address listed for him. DUH! Unfortunately for us, the DMV states that as an owner, you are ultimately responsible for verifying that your vehicle is registered on time regardless of notice.

Generally, you have 30 days after the expiration date as a "freebee"...depending on the officer. Most cops don't want to waste their time. Anything over 90 days will be impounded. Knowledge of the cop also depends on his area he serves. The Sheriff's Office serves multiple cities & each city has their own fee structure. You may get your ticket in Riverton but he also works for Herriman & Bluffdale. Fees also change & officers have too many other things to concern themselves with...like getting a donut & coffee at Maverik.

Almost all cities don't mail out a ticket with the fees listed. It generally is as requested. Generally, I just call the number on the ticket, get the fee amount, & pay in person or send the money in the mail.

Take a breath and be thankful that it wasn't worse!

Ratliffs said...

Bummer! I had kind of a similar experience on base...Got 'chewed out' by a Marine officer guy because I didn't check to make sure that the right insurance card was in the vechile (state farm always mails them out three months in advance...like I have nothing better to do than remembering when its time to switch them out!)...I told him that it was Trevor's job, and he got on my case because I was the one driving the car. I definitely learned my lesson!!! So sorry! That really stinks!

Stacey said...

Hay Abby,

Thanks for the info. As I said I realize it was something that needed to be fixed and it was ultimately our fault, but it was still upsetting. As I also said, I appriciate the work that cops do, it just seems like the are never around when people are driving very badly and deserve a ticket. Verses someone who has no clue that thier tail light is out, or their stickers are out of date, and should just get a warning.

Brina said...

Aww, that really stink Stacey.

Abby Normal said...

Hey, I don't care much for cops myself...some are very ignorant, emotionless, and badge heavy. It doesn't help them that 95% of the people the pigs...I mean the cops...deal with on a day to day basis are dirt bags. They take it out on us 5% honest people in the world that deserve a break in life...especially over trivial things like this.

Bad Cop...No Donut! :)

Diane Owen said...

Hey Stacey, just found your blog and thought I would say hi! I'm seriously considering joining the book club. you guys have too much fun to be left out!

Stacey said...

Diane! You totally should join! We are reading The Riddlemaster Trillogy. There are copies set aside for our book club in the Riverton Library. Check one out, read it, and we'll give you details for the location. We love new club members!