Well here's the sad truth of how I did last year:
1) Lose 10% more body weight and/or get pregnant. Pregnancy is #1 on that list for me, but as I am trying for that, it is my #1 goal...BUT part of this goal is working out at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes MINIMUM (starting Monday if my darn cough/cold is gone!).
*Yeah I got prego, so that worked out. The working out not so much. When I get pregnant it gets really hard for me because I am not a person who works out to begin with, and I got pregnant pretty soon after New Year's.
2) Temple attendance. Again I am setting the goal for 6 times since I sadly didn't make that goal last year!
*yeah, epic fail. I would blame pregnancy, but that was just an excuse...
3) In line with Temple attendance...I want to improve on the quality of my prayer, so I can be more in tune with the spirit and with what the Lord wants for me. I LOVE this quote:
"A key to improved prayer is to learn to ask the right questions. Consider changing from asking for the things you want to honestly seeking what He wants for you. Then as you learn His will, pray that you will be led to have the strength to fulfill it."
(Elder Richard G. Scott, Conference Report, April 2007)
I am going to print it and put it on my bedroom wall to remind me to pray for what His will for me is!
*Again epic fail. I'd say I did better at family scripture study and prayer and being more willing than I was, but certainly was not what I wanted.
4) This time I really mean it when I say that I am going to finish that novel, and even start a new one! To do this I am going to work on it at least 3 nights a week! I know that doesn't sound like full commitment to those who write EVERY day (ie. most professional and those who desire to be professional authors), but that's a lot for me, but it will be a start to a habit that will be fun and fulfilling!
*Again, fail. Seriously pregnancy messes with me. I don't get sick, but my brain dies. Plus after some thought I decided to shelve that project and started another for NaNo.
5) ORGANIZE!!!!!! My home is way too cluttered. I need to get it organized!'
*One may not see it, but I do that this year was certainly an improvement. It's not where I want it yet, but it IS better.
6) No more "X needs to get done."'s But more GETTING it done!
* there was more getting it done, but not enough.
So you could say 2011 for me was a big fail. But I don't look at it that way. I did grow, I became more aware of myself, and I produced a beautiful baby girl. I dedicated my life to my girls and their development more than the more trivial stuff in life.
Now on to my new goals! I have really, really REALLY put thought into these. They are doable. And I think that is key! So I am limiting myself to 5 goals.
1) As always deals with my health. My goal right now is 15 pounds. It's not a ton, but it's what I feel comfortable putting down on paper. Goals need to be challenging and achievable. I think this is both for me. As part of that working out is key. I didn't grow up in a home where my parents took time to exercise. Of course my mom was chasing after 8 kids and literally on her hands and knees keeping our house clean. And my dad was working crazy hours in downtown LA. But setting time aside to work out specifically when it wasn't a sport wasn't something any of us ever did. So this is a HUGE habit change in my life. I am making a 6 month goal to work out at least twice a week for 20 minutes minimum (the shortest workout setting on my elliptical). Then in 6 month we'll re-assess.
2) To get more organized I have to be a more scheduled housekeeper. My mom had a "laundry day" and I want to expand that idea into all of my daily chores. Here's the plans I have so far
Monday - laundry day
Tuesday- groceries and errands
Wednesday - Clean at least one of the bathrooms, help Becca clean up her toys/room.
Thursday - other (you'll see below)
Friday - clean/pick up downstairs (counters, floors) so we can enjoy Saturday as a family.
I want to be flexible, so I am allowing myself to skip a week here or there, but NEVER 2 weeks in a row for the same thing. Also days can be switched based on availability.
3) I'm going to be even more realistic and say my goal is to go to the temple 4 times. Twice with Tyson at least.
4) Prayer is going to be a big push for me again this year. I never did print that quote. I really want to do that!
5) Be a better mom. For Becca I want to be a more patient mom. I tend to get upset very easily with Becca when she gets overly emotional about things, or when she is disobeying. I want the way I discipline her to be a bit more in line with how much I love her and cherish her. Will she get away with it? No. But I don't want to yell as often.
For Gwen I want to be a more observant mom. I want to take in everything she is and everything she does this year. I want to take tons of video and pictures of her and be just as attentive to her as I can.
So there you have it folks. My list of things that I need to improve. I hope and pray that I can be a better me come the end of this year. I'll check in and let you know how I'm doing in June.
What are your goals?
No, I get it
7 years ago




6 comments:
Kind of why I don't do the New Year's resolution thing. I just work on what I want to work on until it's incorporated into my life, then I move on to the next thing. As far as the weight goes, it is very possible to loose weight without exercising. I've done it (after G) and am working on it again. Check out the book 'Eat Fat to Loose Fat' by Sally Fallon. LOVE it. Oh and good luck with all your goals!! :)
Well the exercizing isn't just about losing weight, it's heart health, toning, strengthening my knee muscles etc.
And losing weight is much harder for me than the average bear when it comes to just eating differently. Thank you PCOS with insulin resistance.
A lot of what you're saying exercise will do, food will do a lot better. It's amazing how much food will help or hinder your body, and how much meds can slow your body down and cause more damage than is known about.
I love your attitude, and all your new goals!! You can do it!! :D
I didn't do as well as I hoped this past year either, and I realized it was dumb ofr me to not write it down where I could see it and remind myself- forgot most of it:) So I printed it off,, as well as the kids and robs goals where we can see it often. Me and ROb both went ot the temple every month this year, but it is mostly because we don't go together so the other can stay home with the kids. I usually do initiatory because of the time limit when Rob gets home. So our goal is to go together a more and do more sessions.
I have set some goals for myself as well. I normally don't because I feel like I am just setting myself up to fail. But this year I am really wanting to be in a better place, so I am setting the goals so I can see the difference I hope. Good luck to you. :)
Post a Comment