Thursday, April 23, 2009

Book Club - April 16th, Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Book club this month was a blast! We read Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George which is a novelizational retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses! Which happens to be one of my fav fairy tales from when I was a little girl. We dressed up and wore our "dancing slippers" and princess crowns, all received a rose and had a great night! Here are some pics.

Me and Linds loving being girly and fun! I'm so glad she came so that she could have a night for herself withiout kids!

Angela and Jena looking so pretty!

Jena, Dialma and Sara eating our "banquet" before the ball.

Lindsey, me and Angela. Thanks again Angela for hosting a fun night!

Princess Dialma reading the last few pages of the book.

This is my camera's attempt at the automatic photograph of all of us. At least we are all in the picture right? It was so fun to dress up and wear crowns!

Our own princess in her dancing slippers. These things wear out often too!

Ellise in all her beautiful ballerina glory!

Sara tried on her sister's shoes but in the end decided it was too painful to bear for long. We have a newfound respect for ballerinas!

Dialma showed off her ability to go up on point without wearing Ballet shoes!

As part of our discussion on the origins of the story and where we had heard it for the first time, Angela read us this picture book version that sticks closer to the original grims fairy tale.

I thought this picture was great. It is very close to what I pictured even in Midnight Ball, with the boats and the lake and the castle set on an island surrounded by the lake.

It was such a fun night! I just love our book club!

4 comments:

Brina said...

Look like you gals had fun. I am reading that book right now and I am really enjoying it. :)

Stacey said...

It is a fabulous book by a hillarious person. I just saw her for the second time at another book signing event tonight and she is a blast!

Sami said...

Your book club looks like a lot of fun! =)

Stacey said...

Hey Sami! In general we know we're crazy, but we love being crazy together! Wait until you see what I've got up my sleeve for our HP party in July!