Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkins

So...in our family carving pumpkins has always been a fun tradition. Even when I was a kid, I was the one who could not go one Halloween without carving one of those big orange squash! It kindof started in DT when we carved a BYU Y with bat wings on it for FHE, but every year since then we have carved pumpkins with our old BYU DT Ward FHE group friends. I don't have pictures from all the years, but I thought I would show off the pictures that I do have so you can see what we are capable of. I will post the pictures of our pumpkins from this year probably tomorrow (since Tyson has not done his yet).

2005

This is my pumpkin (sorry it's blurry, it's the only shot of it we got.


This amazing thing was Tyson's pumpkin! This was the first year I had seen him carve something so cool, and it showed me what pumpkin carving can really be! But I warn you, this is a LOT of work!

And so you can see some of the other fun stuff our friends did those years, here are some of the other pumpkins that year.


2006
This was Tyson's amazing Darth Vader (see a trend?).


And this, is my favorite, and most challenging pumpkin to date. It took me like 2 hours, but it was so worth it!




2007

Tyson had a HUGE pumpkin this year, so he did both of these faces side by side on one pumpkin. It was pretty cool to have the Autobot and Decepticon signs both on one pumpkin (If you don't know what those are, they are the Transformer symbols).


After the year before I wanted to do something really simple...so I did! But I think it turned out well.

This year's pumpkins, yet to be revealed...I hope you enjoyed this little walk down pumpkin lane with me!

4 comments:

Ratliffs said...

So cool! You put way more into it than I do though! If it can't be done in an hour (or less) then it's not something I'm willing to do! Maybe it's just because I'm not artistic enough though...Anyway...seeing your pumpkins does make me a little sad though. We aren't doing anything this year since we are going to my parents house. Hopefully the boys won't notice!

Stacey said...

You could do it anyway, just buy some and carve them for fun right now.

Unfortunately it has warmed up here so I doubt my pumpkin is going to last...but I got a picture of it last night. It already is shriveling something awfull!

I may just go buy another one and Tyson and I will do ours together again.

Rob & Tiffanie said...

Amazing! I think I would be so frustrated after all of that work, to watch it shrivel up. Maybe one of those plastic carving pumpkins from the craft store would work well too. Of course then you would have a pumpkin shrine from each year to store:)

Sara said...

Wow, what masterpieces! We haven't ever carved a pumpkin the entire time we've dated and been married! Poor Brad... I was going to do it this year since he's old enough to understand, but so far, it looks like it's not happening. At least he got to paint one at his field trip a couple weeks ago! ;-)